Zolani Tete: Former world champion boxer shot dead outside home in South Africa

Share

 

Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete has been shot dead outside his home in South Africa at the age of 38.

Police said Tete was arriving at his residence in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, and was waiting for the gate to open when two armed men wearing balaclavas emerged from a vehicle and opened fire.

A 27-year-old woman who was travelling with him was also shot several times and rushed to hospital. South Africa’s Sports, Arts and Culture Minister, Gayton McKenzie, confirmed Tete’s death on Friday.

McKenzie said he would not speculate on the motive or those behind the attack, as police have launched an investigation.

Tete, popularly known as “Last Born,” gained international recognition in 2017 when he knocked out fellow South African Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds in Belfast. The victory remains the fastest stoppage in a world title fight and came during his defence of the WBO bantamweight title.

The southpaw previously became a world champion at junior-bantamweight after defeating Japan’s Teiru Kinoshita to win the IBF title in Kobe in 2014.

His death comes only weeks after completing a four-year ban for testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol following his 2022 bout against Jason Cunningham. The ban ended on July 29, with Tete reportedly preparing to make a return to the ring.

See also  Nnadozie Retains CAF Best Women’s Goalkeeper Award

Leave A Reply