
FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom has expressed confidence that Iran will take part in the 2026 FIFA World Cup despite ongoing regional tensions and concerns over visas and travel arrangements.
Speaking after meeting with Mehdi Taj in Istanbul on May 16, Grafstrom described the discussions as “excellent” and “constructive.” He told Reuters that FIFA is working closely with the Iranian football federation and is looking forward to welcoming the team to the tournament.
Iran are due to play all three of their Group G matches in the United States during the World Cup, which will be jointly hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, 2026. Questions over Iran’s participation intensified earlier this year following heightened tensions involving Iran, Israel and the United States.
Concerns also grew after Iranian football officials were reportedly denied entry into Canada for a FIFA Congress event in Vancouver. A delegation led by Taj was turned back at Toronto airport despite reportedly holding valid visas, with Iranian officials alleging mistreatment by immigration authorities. Canadian authorities were said to have linked the decision to alleged ties between Taj and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which Canada designated a terrorist organisation in 2024.
Although Grafstrom declined to discuss specific visa arrangements for Iranian players and officials, he confirmed that operational issues were addressed during the Istanbul talks. He said FIFA and the Iranian federation had discussed all relevant matters and would continue dialogue moving forward.
Taj also described the meeting positively, saying FIFA officials responded to all 10 concerns raised by the Iranian federation and proposed solutions for each. He expressed hope that Iran’s national team would be able to participate in the World Cup without complications and perform strongly at the tournament.
Iran had previously requested that their World Cup fixtures be moved to Mexico because of concerns about playing in the United States. However, FIFA president Gianni Infantino reportedly insisted that all matches remain at their scheduled venues.
The Iranian national team, known as Team Melli, is expected to hold a training camp in Türkiye before travelling to its base camp at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson. Iran will open their campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15 before facing Belgium and Egypt in Group G.
Meanwhile, Iran coach Amir Ghalenoei defended his provisional 30-man squad selection after criticism over the omission of striker Sardar Azmoun. Azmoun, who previously expressed support for anti-government protesters, recently faced accusations of “treason” from Iranian state media after appearing in a photograph with the Emir of Dubai. Ghalenoei insisted that only technical considerations influenced his squad decisions.
Iran have now qualified for their fourth consecutive FIFA World Cup finals.