
Several people have reportedly been killed after armed attackers invaded multiple communities in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State.
Residents told Daily Trust that the attackers stormed at least six villages around 4:30am on Sunday, August 16, 2026, opening fire and killing an unspecified number of residents.
The attackers were reportedly riding motorcycles when they invaded Ayaba, Ukpen, Bom, Ikpur, Aboajio and Yina communities in the Mbaterem council ward of Ukum LGA.
Several residents were also said to have sustained gunshot injuries, while many others fled into nearby bushes for safety.
The Chairman of Ukum LGA, Jonathan Modi, said security operatives responded swiftly and brought the situation under control.
Speaking at about 5pm on Sunday, Modi said he was at the affected communities overseeing the evacuation of injured victims and bodies.
“The security responded immediately to the attacks. Sadly, there were casualties, but we are at the scene moving those wounded to the hospital. We have recovered some bodies,” he said.
He added that more security personnel had been deployed to areas considered vulnerable to further attacks.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the Benue State Police Command, Peter Aondongu, confirmed the incident but said investigations were still ongoing.
“I can confirm that there was an attack in Ukum LGA. More details will be communicated to you as soon as I have them,” he said.
Reacting to the incident, Governor Hyacinth Alia commiserated with the families of those who lost their lives and commended security agencies for their swift response.
In a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Tersoo Kula, the governor said the attackers invaded communities including Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina, Aboajio and Ukpen in Mbaterem, killing some residents and injuring others.
Alia vowed that his administration would continue to support security agencies in protecting residents, insisting that efforts to destabilise the state would not succeed.
“Benue lands for Benue people. Anyone who thinks attacking us will intimidate us to leave the land is making a mistake,” the governor said.
“I took an oath to protect our people, and I will not relent. I must appreciate the fact that the Federal Government is advancing a lot of support for us to tackle these acts of terrorism,” he added.
The governor, who attributed the attack to armed herders, urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements to security agencies.
He also directed security agencies to sustain their presence in strategic areas across the state and confront criminal elements responsible for the attacks.
Alia assured residents that his administration would remain committed to protecting lives and property across Benue State.



